Dutasteride (Dutanol) 0.5 mg is a medication used primarily to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or enlargement of the prostate, among men. It is also used off-label for hair loss among men, excessive hair growth, or hirsutism, among women, and as hormone therapy for transgender women along with estrogen. It has been approved for the treatment of scalp hair loss among male adults in South Korea and in Japan in 2015.
What does Dutasteride (Dutanol) 0.5mg contain?
Dutanol 0.5 mg tablet contains the active ingredient dutasteride for the treatment of enlarged prostate male hair loss.
How does Dutasteride (Dutanol) 0.5mg work?
Like finasteride, dutasteride is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor (RAI). It works by blocking the enzyme 5-alpha reductase that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, or DHT. It works against both types 1 and 2 5-alpha reductase, theoretically a more powerful inhibition of DHT. It blocks 90% of DHT compared to 70% by finasteride. Dutasteride has a longer half-life of 5 weeks versus the shorter half-life 5-6 hours of finasteride, meaning it stays in the body longer. It delays the progression of androgenic alopecia (AGA), or more commonly known as male pattern baldness. It also suppresses the acidity of DHT, which is the cause of hair loss in males.
Who cannot take Dutasteride (Dutanol) 0.5mg?
This drug is not suitable for everyone. It is not recommended if:
- Child below 18 years old
- Have allergy to 5-alpha reductase inhibitors or any of the drug’s components
- Have severe liver disease
How should you take Dutasteride (Dutanol) 0.5mg?
Take this medicine exactly as directed by your doctor. Do not take more of it, do not take it more often, and do not take it for a longer time than your doctor ordered.
It is usually prescribed in one 0.5mg capsule taken once daily. However, many users have reported positive results by just taking it thrice a week. You may view Additional Information tab for recommended dosage. You may take this medicine with or without food. Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, chew, or open it. There is not a best time of day to take it. Choose one that works best for you, and make sure to take it consistently at that time.
Depending on the individual, it generally takes about three months to show its initial effects, though it can take up to 6 months for others. You may notice some thinning of hair during the first few months of treatment, but this is temporary due to the shedding of miniaturized hairs.
The effects of dutasteride last only for as long as you take the drug. Once you discontinue intake of the drug, hair loss ensues.
What if you miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. But if it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What if you take too much?
Dutasteride is generally safe. Taking too much is unlikely to harm you, but if you feel unusual symptoms, seek professional help.
What are the side effects of Dutasteride (Dutanol) 0.5mg?
Just like any other drug, it also has side effects. They are usually mild, and they go away as your body adjusts to the medicine or as soon as you discontinue the therapy. However, it is advised to consult with your doctor if they persist or worsen. These side effects include:
- Decreased libido (3%)
- Problems with erection (4.7%)
- Decreased ejaculate (1.4%)
- Breast enlargement (0.5%)
Serious side effects are rare and happen in less than 1 in 1,000 people. Some may notice these side effects months after using the drug. Talk to your doctor if you notice:
- Lumps, pain, or swelling in your chest or discharge from your nipples
- Low mood or thoughts of harming yourself
- Serious allergic reaction (difficulty breathing, swelling of your face, lips, or tongue)
What other precautions should be taken?
Use of this medication is not recommended for children below 18 years old. Safety and efficacy of this medication on this population have not been established.
It is safe to use in the elderly population.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
This medication should not be used for women of child-bearing age and those who are pregnant and breastfeeding because of its potential to harm the baby. They should not handle crushed or broken tablet because the medicine can pass through the skin and can harm the unborn baby. This drug is excreted in the semen, so use of condom is highly recommended. If a pregnant woman has exposure to dutasteride, that woman should be counseled of the potential hazard to a male fetus
Caution is needed if you have mild to moderate liver disease or prostate cancer. Tell your doctor if you have these conditions.
Let your doctor know if you are taking:
- Similar medicines, like finasteride
- Verapamil / diltiazem
- HIV medications
- Azole antifungals (e.g. ketoconazole, itraconazole)
- St John’s wort (a supplement sometimes taken to help with depression) – might stop dutasteride working as well as it’s supposed to.
Avoid taking alcohol with this drug as it may decrease the effectiveness.
Dutasteride will not affect your ability to drive, cycle or operate machinery.
Diet and Lifestyle
You can eat and drink normally while taking this medication.
How should you store Dutasteride (Dutanol) 0.5mg?
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
- This products is for males aged 18 years and older.
- As much as three to six months of continued treatment may be necessary to assess the benefit of treatment.
- Men who take dutasteride need to use a condom if their partner is pregnant or if there’s any chance they could be pregnant. This medicine passes into semen and can harm an unborn baby.
- Do not donate blood for six months after finishing this medication. It can remain in your blood for a long time and be passed on to a pregnant woman who receives a blood transfusion.
What company produces Dutasteride (Dutanol) 0.5mg?
|Knoll Healthcare Pvt Ltd
|Director: Vikas Goel and Sunil Goel
Founder: Vikas Goel and Sunil Goel
Headquarters: Delhi, India