Cenforce 100mg is a generic brand name of its active ingredient, sildenafil. This medicine is used primarily to treat male sexual function problems such as impotence or erectile dysfunction (ED). It is also used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) in, a high blood pressure in the vessels carrying blood to the lungs, causing shortness of breath, dizziness, and tiredness.
What does Sildenafil(Cenforce) 100mg contain?
Cenforce 100mg contains sildenafil citrate, the first phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE-5) inhibitor developed and approved for use for ED among men aged 18 years and over.
How does Sildenafil (Cenforce) 100mg work?
As a phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE-5) inhibitor, sildenafil blocks the PDE-5 enzymes that cause the penis to go flaccid. It works by temporarily increasing blood flow to the penis and inducing smooth relaxation. Once the smooth muscles in the penis relax, erection occurs.
Who cannot take Sildenafil (Cenforce) 100mg?
This drug is not recommended for those who are/have:
- Below 18 years old
- Allergic to sildenafil and any of its ingredient
- Heart conditions where sexual activity is not advised
- Hypotension, or low blood pressure
- Severe liver problem
- Recent heart attack or stroke
- Vision loss due to poor circulation
- Known hereditary degenerative retinal disorders
- Taking nitrates, nitrite poppers, nicorandil, or riociguat
How should you take Sildenafil (Cenforce) 100mg?
Take this drug as prescribed by your doctor. You may view Additional Information tab for the recommended doses.
It comes in oral tablets of 25mg, 50mg, and 100mg strength for ED. Men aged 18 to 65 years old are usually prescribed 50mg once a day taken as needed one hour before sex. Those over 65 years old are usually given 25mg as a single dose no more than once a day one hour before sex. Alternatively, you can take it 30 minutes to 4 hours before sexual intercourse but not more than once a day. You have to be sexually excited for the drug to work. It starts to take into effect within 30 minutes after taking it. It continues to work for up to 4 hours, although its action is usually less after 2 hours.
Swallow the tablets whole with water or juice (but not grapefruit juice). For ED, you may take this medication with food (to reduce gastrointestinal upset, but if taken with food, especially high in fat, the onset of efficacy may be delayed) or without food. Do not chew, crush or break it. It should be taken regularly at evenly spaced time intervals.
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
What if you miss a dose?
If you forget your dose, you can take it as soon as you remember it unless it’s nearly time for your next dose. In this case, just skip it and take your next dose at the usual time. Never take 2 doses at the same time. Never take an extra dose to make up for a missed dose.
What if you take too much?
Taking too much sildenafil may be harmful. You may experience headache, dizziness or lightheadedness, indigestion, congested nose, and changes in vision. Talk to your doctor right away if this happens.
What are the side effects of Sildenafil (Cenforce) 100mg?
Most side effects do not require any medical attention and disappear as your body adjusts to the medicine. The most frequently reported adverse effect by patient includes:
- Headache or dizziness
- Heartburn, nausea or upset stomach
- Abnormal vision (blurred vision, changes in color vision)
- Runny or stuffy nose, nosebleed
- Sleep problems (Insomnia)
- Muscle pain or back pain
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction (hives, difficulty of breathing, swelling in your face of throat) to sildenafil, or a severe skin reaction (fever, sore throat, burning in your eyes, skin pain, red or purple skin rash that spreads and causes blistering and peeling).
Get medical help right away if you have any of these serious but rare side effects (occurring in less than 1 in 1,000 people)
- Prolonged and painful erection
- Chest pain
- Sudden hearing loss, ringing in the ears
What other precautions should be taken?
Sildenafil should never be used in children for erectile dysfunction
Appropriate studies performed to date have not demonstrated geriatric-specific problems that would limit the usefulness of tadalafil in the elderly. Caution and dose adjustment in elderly patients may be needed because they are more likely to have age-related liver, kidney, or heart problems.
This drug is not indicated for use in pregnant women for sexual dysfunction.
This drug is not indicated for use in lactating women for sexual dysfunction.
Before taking sildenafil, tell your doctor if you have:
- Heart disease
- Deformity of your penis
- Blood disorder, like sickle cell anemia, hemophilia, multiple myeloma
- Stomach ulcer
- Liver or kidney disease
Some medicines affect how sildenafil works and vice versa and potentiate its adverse effects. Inform your doctor if you are taking any of these medications:
- Antihypertensives and α-blockers (e.g. doxazosin, prazosin, terazosin)
- Azole antifungals: Itraconazole and ketoconazole
- Antibiotics: Erythromycin, clarithromycin, rifampicin
- Anti-HIV drugs: Ritonavir, saquinavir
- Anti-epileptics: Phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine
- Anti-asthma: Theophylline
- Potentially Fatal: Any form of nitrates and riociguat
Intake of alcohol and marijuana is not advised due to increased risk of orthostatic hypotension (form of low blood pressure that happens when standing after sitting or lying down).
It is advised not to drive if you are experiencing the side effect of sudden loss of vision.
Diet and Lifestyle
Some lifestyle habits are highly associated with ED, such as smoking, alcohol abuse, physical inactivity, and stress. So, making healthy lifestyle behavior changes may reduce your ED symptoms.
Avoid drinking grapefruit juice while using this medication as it may increase adverse effects.
How should you store Sildenafil (Cenforce) 100mg?
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
- For the drug to work, you have to be sexually stimulated.
- Do not take the drug more than once a day.
- Tell your doctor that you take sildenafil. If you need emergency care for a heart problem, it will be important for your healthcare provider to know when you last took this drug.
- If you are using this medication for ED, avoid taking other drugs for ED. The safety and effectiveness of sildenafil when used with other treatments has not been studied. Combined use could lead to additional lowering of blood pressure, possibly to unsafe levels.
- Always discuss with your healthcare provider all the medications you are taking, including prescription-only, over-the-counter, and supplements to avoid any drug interaction.
What company produces Sildenafil (Cenforce) 100mg?
|CEO: Ambalal Patel
Headquarters: P-2, Biotech Park, GIDC Savli, Manjusar, Gujarat 391775, India
Number of employees: India Employee count. 51-200 · Global Employee count. 201-500