Orlistat (Slimtop) 120mg is used in the management of obesity, including weight loss and weight maintenance. It may also be used in overweight patients with associated risk factors, like hypertension, diabetes, and dyslipidemia.
What does Orlistat (Slimtop) 120mg contain?
The active ingredient in this drug is orlistat, a lipase inhibitor, an FDA-approved anti-obesity medication. It is used as an adjunct to diet and exercise for maximum benefit. It significantly reduces body mass index (BMI), waist circumference, total cholesterol, and low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or bad cholesterol.
How does Orlistat (Slimtop) 120mg work?
This drug works by keeping your intestines from absorbing some (30%) of the fats from the food that you eat, thereby reducing caloric intake. The unabsorbed fat is passed out with the stools. The percentage change in weight is also associated with a small reduction in blood pressure. Orlistat has also been found to have benefits on carbohydrate metabolism. It works best with regular physical activity and a healthy diet.
Who cannot take Orlistat (Slimtop) 120mg?
People with the following conditions are not advised to take this drug:
- Allergy to orlistat or any other excipient
- Chronic malabsorption syndrome
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women
How should you take Orlistat (Slimtop) 120mg?
Take this medicine as directed by your doctor. The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor’s orders or the directions on the label.
The recommended orlistat prescription dose is 60mg or 120mg capsule orally thrice daily depending on your condition. This drug should be taken during the meal or up to 1 hour after meals. Try to make it at the same time each day. Swallow the capsule whole with a glass of water. Each time you take orlistat, your meal should contain no more than about 30% of calories from fat. If you have missed a meal or if the meal contains no fat, you may not take that particular dose.
What if you miss a dose?
If you miss a dose and it has been more than 2 hours past the fat-containing meal, skip the missed dose and return to your usual dosing schedule. By that time, most of the fat absorption has already occurred, and the medication will not work effectively. Do not double a dose to make up for a missed dose.
What if you take too much?
If you take too much of the drug, seek medical help immediately.
What are the side effects of Orlistat (Slimtop) 120mg?
Because this drug works by blocking dietary fat absorption, you may experience changes in your bowel habits. They usually occur during the first few weeks of treatment and are temporary as they disappear with continued treatment and adherence with recommended diet. However, for some individuals, they may persist throughout use of the drug. They usually do not require medical attention, but consult your doctor if they bother you. These side effects may be minimized by following a low-calorie diet with less than 30% of the calories from fats. Bowel changes include:
- Oily or fatty stools
- Oily spotting
- Flatus with discharge
- Bowel incontinence
- Increased urge to pass bowels
- Abdominal pain
- Rectal pain and discomfort
By nature of the drug’s action, it also inhibits absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, namely vitamins A,D, E, and K, leading to vitamin deficiency.
Serious side effects may occur but are rare. See your doctor immediately if you experience any of these:
- Allergic reaction to the drug
- Rectal bleeding
- Abrupt onset nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain in upper right abdomen, yellowing of skin/eyes, dark urine, light-colored stools, sleepiness and mental clouding
- Fever/chills, severe back pain, peeing less, painful urination, blood in urine
What other precautions should be taken?
This drug is not recommended for children.
Studies have not shown problems in the elderly that would limit its use in this population.
This drug is contraindicated during pregnancy because weight loss offers no potential to the woman and may harm the unborn baby. Use an effective form of birth control to keep from getting pregnant. If you think you have become pregnant while using this medicine, tell your doctor right away.
This drug is contraindicated for lactating mothers. It is highly unlikely that the infants absorb orlistat in an amount that adversely impacts the breastfed infant.
Use this drug with caution when you have any of the following conditions. Inform your doctor first.
- Anorexia nervosa and bulimia
- Kidney disease, history of kidney stones
- Liver disease
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
Use this drug with caution when you are taking these medications. Inform your doctor first.
- Antiepileptics (lamotrigine, gabapentin, valproate)
- Amiodarone (for heart problems)
- Cyclosporine (immunosuppressant) – Take at least 2 hours apart
- Levothyroxine (for hypothyroidism) – Take at least 4 hours apart
- Warfarin (for bleeding)
- Antiretrovirals (for HIV)
Consuming alcohol with this drug does not cause harmful effects. However, alcohol is high in calories, and thus, may hinder your weight loss journey.
This drug does not affect your ability to drive.
Diet and Lifestyle
- To minimize side effects, stick to low-calorie meals containing no more than 30% fats.
- Because it reduces the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, patients may need to take multivitamin supplements containing vitamins ADEK and beta-carotene daily. Administration of multivitamin supplements should be at a gap of more than 2 hours after the orlistat administration.
- You should evenly divide your daily intake of fat, carbohydrates, and protein over 3 main meals.
How should you store Orlistat (Simtop) 120mg?
- Store below 25°C. Protect from heat, light, and moisture.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children and pets.
- Discard expired Slimptop capsules.
- This drug is not meant to replace exercise and a healthy diet.
- It is necessary to monitor your body weight, body mass index (BMI), waist circumference, and lipid profile while taking this drug.
- The levels of cyclosporine, antiepileptic, and HIV viral load require monitoring when using this drug in conjunction with these medications.
- If you’re taking an oral contraceptive pill and have severe diarrhea while taking this drug, use an additional method of contraception, like condom. This is because your body may not absorb the contraceptive pill if you have diarrhea, so it may not be effective.
- It should not be used longer than 6 months. If you have not lost at least 5% of your body weight in 12 weeks, consult your doctor and discontinue taking the drug.
What company produces Orlitstat (Slimtop) 120mg?
|CEO: Sanjay Parekh and Mr. Hitesh Jain
Founder: Sanjay Parekh and Mr. Hitesh Jain
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Number of employees: 51 to 200 employees
Subsidiaries: Healing Pharma India Pvt. Ltd