Modafinil (Modalert) 200mg is a wake-promoting medication used for excessive daytime sleepiness in adults with narcolepsy, shift-work sleep disorder, and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). It promotes wakefulness by stimulating the brain to increase alertness and reduce sleepiness during the day. It will not cure the sleep disorders or get rid of all kinds of sleepiness. It should not be used to hold off sleep in those who do not have any sleeping disorders.
It has also been used off-label for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), acute unipolar and bipolar depressive episodes, multiple sclerosis-related fatigue, cancer-related fatigue, and Parkinson’s disease. Off-label, it is used as a nootropic used to boost cognitive performance.
What does Modafinil (Modalert) 200mg contain?
Modalert contains the active ingredient modafinil, an FDA-approved non-amphetamine central nervous system stimulant that improves the level and duration of wakefulness and daytime alertness.
It is a first-line treatment for symptoms of narcolepsy (uncontrollable daytime sleepiness and tiredness) and shift-work sleep disorder (sleepiness during scheduled waking hours and difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep during scheduled sleeping hours in people who work at night or on rotating shifts). It is also used along with breathing devices or other treatments to prevent excessive sleepiness caused by OSA (a sleep disorder in which the patient briefly stops breathing or breathes shallowly many times during sleep and, therefore, doesn’t get enough restful sleep).
How does Modafinil (Modalert) 200mg work?
This drug works by modulating chemical messengers, or neurotransmitters, in the brain, thereby heightening arousal and reducing sleepiness. It promotes neuronal activity in the brain, thus helpful on cognition and attention.
Who cannot take Modafinil (Modalert) 200mg?
This drug is not recommended to those who are/have:
- Children below 17 years old
- Pregnant and breastfeeding
- Allergic to Modafinil
- Uncontrolled hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Heart problems, namely cardiac arrhythmia, left ventricular hypertrophy, cor pulmonale, mitral valve prolapse
How should you take Modafinil (Modalert) 200mg?
Take this medicine in the dose and duration prescribed by your doctor. Read the information leaflet provided by the manufacturer.
When you first start Modafinil it is usually prescribed at a dose of 200 mg daily. You may be asked to take this as a single dose of 200 mg in the morning or divided into 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg at midday. For the elderly, initial dose is at 100mg daily. If you are taking this drug to treat shift-work sleep disorder, you will probably take it 1 hour before the beginning of your work shift.
Take it at the same time every day. It is advised that you do not take this medicine if it is too late in a waking day since you may find it difficult to sleep at night. Do not change the time of day that you take the drug without talking to your doctor. Talk to your doctor if your work shift does not begin at the same time every day.
Your dose may be increased after a little while depending on your symptoms. Your dose in a day should not exceed 400mg. Swallow it whole with water. Do not break or crush it. It can be taken with or without food.
Modafinil may be habit-forming. Do not take a larger dose, take it more often, or take it for a longer period of time than prescribed by your doctor.
What if you miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, skip the forgotten dose completely and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What if you take too much?
Seek emergency medical treatment in case of an overdose. Symptoms of overdose include:
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Agitation, restlessness, or confusion
- Uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
- Fast, slow, or pounding heartbeat
What are the side effects of Modafinil (Modalert) 200mg?
Modalert is generally a well-tolerated stimulant. Side effects may occur, but they are mild and temporary and not everyone gets them. They go away as your body adjusts to the medication. However, seek consult with a doctor if these side effects persist or worsen. Common (1 in 100) side effects include:
- Headache, dizziness, or blurring of vision
- Dry mouth
- Nausea, indigestion
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Decreased appetite
- Runny nose
Serious side effects may happen but are extremely rare (unknown rates). Contact your doctor immediately if you experience:
- Rash or blisters on the skin
- Change in behavior, mood or thinking
- Chest pain, abnormal heartbeat, or unexplained breathlessness
- Suicidal thoughts
What other precautions should be taken?
Appropriate studies have not been performed on the relationship of age to the effects of Modafinil in children younger than 17 years of age. Safety and efficacy have not been established.
Elderly patients may have a slower removal of this medicine from the body, which may require an adjustment in the dose for patients receiving Modafinil.
This drug is not recommended during pregnancy due to risk of congenital anomalies, intrauterine growth restriction, and spontaneous abortion.
Women of child-bearing potential are advised to use an effective contraception during treatment and two months after stopping it. If you are planning to have a child or if you become pregnant during treatment, consult with your doctor for appropriate management.
It is not recommended among lactating women due to possible harm to the baby.
If you have any of these conditions, caution must be taken when taking Modalert. Talk to your doctor if you have any of the following:
- History of psychiatric disorders (psychosis, mania)
- History of alcohol or drug abuse/dependence
- Recent heart attack or unstable angina
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Tic disorders
Some medicines may affect how Modalert works and vice versa. Inform your doctor if you are taking any of the following drugs:
- Oral contraceptives
- Carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, diazepam (for seizures)
- Amitryptilline, citalopram (for depression)
- Rifampicin (for bacterial infection)
- Warfarin (for bleeding)
- Propranolol (for heart problems or hypertension)
- Omeprazole (for gastric acid reflux)
Caution is advised when taking this drug with alcohol due to increased risk of dizziness, drowsiness, and impaired judgment.
This drug causes side effects that may affect your ability to drive.
Diet and Lifestyle
- Consumption of grapefruit or grapefruit juice is not recommended during treatment with this medicine since the combination may decrease the effects of Modalert.
- It is advised you do not engage in sports during treatment with this medication. Refer to World Anti-Doping Agency guidelines on medicines which should not be taken during specific sports activities.
How should you store Modafinil (Modalert) 200mg?
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Do not share this medicine with anyone.
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not keep expired medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Throw away expired or unused medicines in a sealed container or ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
- Modalert is a stimulant medication that is generally safe, well-tolerated, and carries a low potential for abuse and dependence.
- Taking this drug is not a replacement for a good sleep routine. It is still important to aim to get around seven to eight hours of sleep at night if possible. Patients should be advised to go to bed when tired and get up at about the same time each day.
- If you have sleep apnea and use a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine at night, continue using this machine with the medication.
- Do not drive or do anything that requires concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid taking alcohol while taking this medicine as it may increase unwanted side effects.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant before taking this drug.
- It reduces the effectiveness of contraceptives. Consult your doctor for an effective contraceptive method.
- Do not stop taking this medication suddenly without talking to your doctor.
What company produces Modafinil (Modalert) 200mg?
|CEO: Mr. Dilip Shanghvi
Founder: Mr. Dilip Shanghvi
Number of employees: 37, 000+
Subsidiaries: Sun Pharma Laboratories Ltd. Subsidiaries
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. Recommended doses are as follows. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
Narcolepsy and Obstructive Sleep Apnea:
Shift-Work Sleep Disorder:
Common side effects:
Rare side effects:
– Children below 17 years old
30 Pills, 60 Pills, 90 Pills