Fluconazole 200mg (Forcan) is an antifungal medicine used to treat infections of the mouth, throat, skin, nails, vagina, and meninges (protective covering of the brain and spinal cord) caused by different kinds of fungus.
What does Fluconazole (Forcan) 200mg contain?
It contains fluconazole, an FDA-approved drug, used to treat oropharyngeal, esophageal and vaginal candidiasis. Oropharyngeal candidiasis presents as oral thrush (cottony or creamy white spots on the tongue or lining of the mouth). Vaginal candidiasis manifests as vaginal itching or soreness, pain during intercourse/urination, and thick, cottage cheese-like vaginal discharge. It is also used to treat different kinds of dermatophytoses, signs and symptoms of which include:
- Tinea corporis – Itchy, ring-shaped rash with clearer center in the middle, usually at the back
- Tinea cruris – Red, itchy rash in the groin area of inner thighs
- Tinea pedis – Blisters on the feet, itching, burning, or stinging sensation between the toes
- Tinea unguium – White, yellow-brown spot under the tip of the fingernail or toenail
- Tinea versicolor – Skin discoloration, usually at the back, chest, and abdomen, itching around areas of discoloration, and excessive sweating
Fluconazole is also used to treat cryptococcal meningitis, a fungal infection of the meninges of the brain. Symptoms include fever, headache, and neck pain. It is fatal if left untreated.
How does Fluconazole (Forcan) 200mg work?
This drug kills fungi by destroying the fungal cell membrane, thus stopping their growth.
Who cannot take Fluconazole (Forcan) 200mg?
This drug is not advisable if you have any of the following:
- Allergies to the drug and other azole antifungals – Tell your doctor if you had an allergic reaction to this drug or other similar class of drugs
- If you are taking these drugs:
- Astemizole, Terfenadine (for allergies)
- Cisapride (for heartburn)
- Quinidine (for heart problems)
- Pimozide (for tic disorders)
- Erythromycin (for bacterial infections)
How should you take Fluconazole (Forcan) 200mg?
This drug should be taken at the dose, frequency, and duration prescribed by your doctor. The dosage and length of treatment will depend on the condition you are being treated for. You may view Additional Information tab for recommended doses.
It should be swallowed whole and can be taken with or without food. Avoid taking antacid treatments within one hour before or two hours after you take it. To get the most benefit, take this medicine at evenly spaced times and continue using it until your prescription is finished, even if your symptoms disappear after a few days. If you stop treatment too early, you increase the risk of re-infection. If you miss doses, you can increase your risk of infections that are resistant to further treatment.
What if you miss a dose?
If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember, unless it’s nearly time for your next dose. In this case, just skip the missed dose and take your next one as normal. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
Accidentally taking 1 or 2 extra doses is unlikely to harm you. However, if you take too much and you feel unwell, speak to your doctor immediately.
What if you take too much?
Taking 1 or 2 extra doses of Forcan is unlikely to harm you. However, if you feel unwell after an overdose, seek immediate medical help.
What are the side effects of Fluconazole (Forcan) 200mg?
Just like any other drug, this drug can cause side effects. Not everyone gets them. Common side effects include:
- Abdominal pain
They are mild and do not necessarily need medical attention. They go away when your body adjusts to the medicine. Talk to your doctor if these side effects bother you or if they persist.
If you develop an allergic reaction to the drug, stop taking it and consult with your doctor.
Serious side effects are rare. Call your doctor or an ambulance immediately if you experience any of the following:
- Yellowing of the eyes/skin, pale stools, and dark urine – These can be signs of liver problems
- Get infections, bruise, and get tired more easily – These can be signs of blood disorders.
- Faster or irregular heartbeat – These are signs of adverse reactions on the heart.
- Itchy rash, blistered/peeling skin, swollen face, lips, or tongue, wheezing, chest tightness, and difficulty breathing/speaking – These are signs of a serious allergic reaction, or anaphylaxis, which can be fatal.
What other precautions should be taken?
Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by a doctor.
Elderly patients are more likely to have kidney problems. Dose adjustments may be needed.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
It is usually not recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women due to potential adverse effects on the baby. If absolutely needed, however, your doctor may prescribe you with a single dose. Talk to your doctor regarding the risks and benefits of taking this drug. Inform your doctor if you are trying to get pregnant. Leave 1 week after treatment before conception.
Before taking this drug, inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions as this drug may worsen your condition:
- Heart disease, including heart rhythm problems
- Kidney or liver problems
- Porphyria (inherited blood disorder)
Some drugs and fluconazole interfere with each other. Inform your doctor if you are taking any of the following drugs before you start taking fluconazole:
- Warfarin – for bleeding
- Theophylline – for asthma and other lung diseases
- Rifampicin, erythromycin – for bacterial infections
- Quetiapine – for mental disorders
- Reboxetine – for depression
- Amiodarone – for heart problems
- Phenytoin, carbamazepine – for epilepsy/seizure fits
- Losartan – for high blood pressure
- Statins – for high cholesterol
You can drink alcohol while taking this drug.
You can usually drive while taking this drug. However, if you experience a headache or dizziness while taking it, do not drive until it goes away.
You can eat and drink normally while taking Forcan.
How should you store Fluconazole (Forcan) 200mg?
Keep this medication out of child’s reach and sight. Furthermore, store at no more than 25°C. Keep your pills in their original package; do not move them to another container. Then, take this drug no later than the expiry date listed on the tablet and packaging after EXP. The expiration date is the final day of that month. Lastly, do not dispose of pharmaceuticals in wastewater or household garbage. Inquire with your pharmacist about how to dispose of expired medications.
- Do not stop skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Use an effective contraception while taking this drug.
- Your doctor may request you to do liver and kidney function tests before starting treatment and periodically.
What company produces Fluconazole (Forcan) 200mg?
|CEO: Umang Vohra
Founder: Khwaja Abdul Hamied
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra, Gangtok, Sikkim
Number of employees: 22,036
Subsidiaries: Jay Precision Pharmaceuticals Private Limited