Finasteride (Finpecia) 1mg contains finasteride as its active component. It is used for the treatment of male pattern hair loss. At a dose of 5mg, it is used to treat symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (a condition in men where the prostate gland is enlarged, making it difficult to pass urine). It is used by men who are above 18 years of age. It can help reverse balding in men with mild to moderate hair loss but does not restore hair that has been lost for a long time.
What does Finasteride (Finpecia) 1mg contain?
Finpecia 1mg contains the active ingredient finasteride. Finasteride is an FDA-approved pharmacologic agent for treating benign prostate hyperplasia and androgenic alopecia (male pattern hair loss) in men. Finasteride has also been used to treat signs of hyperandrogenism, such as hirsutism, and may be used in transgender women in combination with estrogen for its anti-androgen properties.
How does Finasteride (Finpecia) 1mg work?
This drug blocks the action of an enzyme called type II 5α-reductase, which is found in hair follicles and converts the male hormone testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
It is DHT that is responsible for hair loss as it causes hair follicles in the scalp to gradually shrink, producing smaller and thinner hairs, which eventually do not emerge from the follicle. Finasteride reverses the balding process as it blocks the build-up of DHT in the hair follicles of the scalp, allowing the hair to grow normally. In the treatment of androgenic alopecia, finasteride does not lead to a 100% reduction in DHT; hair loss is slowed but not completely halted.
Who cannot take Finasteride (Finpecia) 1mg?
This medication is not suitable for everyone. It is not recommended for the following patients:
- Women, particularly those who are of childbearing age, pregnant, and breastfeeding
- Children below 18 years old
- Allergic to any component of the drug
How should you take Finasteride (Finpecia) 1mg?
For hair loss, finasteride is taken at a dose of 1mg once daily. You will usually take it for a long time to sustain its effects. It does not matter what time of day you take it. Just make sure it is taken around the same time each day. Swallow the tablets whole with a drink of water. Do not break or crush them.
What if you miss a dose?
If it’s less than 6 hours since you were due to take it, take finasteride as soon as you remember. But, if it has been more than 6 hours since your dose was due, skip the missed dose and take the next one at the usual time. It is important not to take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What if you take too much?
Finasteride is generally safe. Taking too much is unlikely to harm you. But if you feel unusual symptoms, seek professional help.
What are the side effects of Finasteride (Finpecia) 1mg?
Just like any other drug, it has side effects, but not everyone gets them. Most side effects of the drug are mild and do not require medical attention. They go away as your body adjusts to the medicine or as soon as you discontinue the therapy. However, it is advised to consult with your doctor if they trouble you.
Common side effects occur in more than 1 in 100 people:
- Decreased libido/sexual desire
- Difficulty initiating and maintaining an erection
- Decreased volume of ejaculate (semen)
- Breast enlargement and tenderness
- Dizziness when standing after sitting or lying down
Therefore, if you are planning to father a child, it is advised that you consult with a doctor first before taking it.
Serious side effects are rare and happen in less than 1 in 1,000 people. Some may notice these side effects months after using the drug. Talk to your doctor if you notice:
- Lumps, pain, or swelling in your chest or discharge from your nipples
- Low mood or thoughts of harming yourself
- Serious allergic reaction (difficulty breathing, swelling of your face, lips, or tongue)
What other precautions should be taken?
Use of this medication is not recommended for children. Safety and efficacy of this medication on this population have not been established.
It is safe to use in the elderly population.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
This medication should not be used for women of child-bearing age and those who are pregnant and breastfeeding because of its potential to harm the baby. They should not handle crushed or broken tablet because the medicine can pass through the skin and can harm the unborn baby. This drug is excreted in the semen, so use of condom is highly recommended. If a pregnant woman has exposure to finasteride, that woman should be counseled of the potential hazard to a male fetus
Caution is needed if you have any of the following conditions. Tell your doctor if you have:
- Liver disease
- Severe bladder problems
- Prostate cancer
Let your doctor know if you are taking similar medicines, like dutasteride. St John’s wort (a supplement sometimes taken to help with depression) might stop finasteride working as well as it’s supposed to.
Avoid taking alcohol with this drug as it may decrease the effectiveness.
Finasteride will not affect your ability to drive, cycle or operate machinery.
Diet and Lifestyle
You can eat and drink normally while taking this medication.
How should you store Finasteride (Finpecia) 1mg?
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Ask your healthcare professional how you should dispose of any medicine you do not use.
- This products is for males aged 18 years and older.
- As much as three to six months of continued treatment may be necessary to assess the benefit of treatment.
- Men who take finasteride need to use a condom if their partner is pregnant or if there’s any chance they could be pregnant. This medicine passes into semen and can harm an unborn baby.
- Do not donate blood for six months after finishing this medication.
What company produces Finasteride (Finpecia) 1mg?
|CEO: Umang Vohra
Founder: Khwaja Abdul Hamied
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra, Gangtok, Sikkim
Number of employees: 22,036
Subsidiaries: Jay Precision Pharmaceuticals Private Limited,